It has come to our notice that certain sections of the media carried stories recently about the response filed by the State of TN in the Madras High Court regarding banning Games of Skill like Rummy . TORF would like to clarify that our understanding is that TN's Ordinance 11 of 2020 amending the TN Gaming Act and their entire stand in court is based on the Mahalakshmi high court judgment from 2012 which stated that playing rummy for stakes is gambling. It is pertinent to note that this judgment by the TN High Court was set aside by the Supreme Court in 2015. Playing rummy for stakes is and was always constitutionally protected under Article 19(1)(g) of the constitution.
We would like to reiterate that banning games of skill will only push the legitimate operators out of the state leaving players unprotected at the hands of fly by night operators. We firmly believe that the State of TN should regulate the industry, and this will ensure maximum safety for the players whilst adding meaningful revenues to the states coffers.
The Online Rummy Federation (TORF)
is the first voluntarily incorporated self-regulatory body in the Indian online
gaming sector with the sole objective to ensure that rummy players across India
enjoy online rummy in a safe and responsible manner. No other gaming companies
across the world, in regulated or semi-regulated markets, have undertaken such
a voluntary initiative for user protection and safety.
KEY TORF INITIATIVES
● As a part of its self-regulatory initiatives, which started in the year 2018, TORF has ensured that rummy operators adhere to rigorous operating standards which have been prepared by internal gaming experts in line with various existing global (EU and UK) regulatory frameworks and is called TORF Code of Conduct "the Code".
● TORF ensures that regular audit and compliance are done so as to certify and grant TORF Seal to qualifying member rummy operators against the Code. TORF ensures that rigorous audit measures and processes are followed which are performed by an independent third-party auditor (one of the big4 audit firms).
● TORF Code covers many important aspects for ensuring player protection and encouraging responsible playing practices. Key areas include
● Guidelines on KYC verification
● Minimum Age
● Prevention of Money Laundry,
● Player Protection and Accountability,
● Responsible Playing,
● Setting Gameplay limits,
● Assisting Vulnerable Players,
● Advertising guidelines,
● Dispute resolution etc.
For more information, visit: http://torf.org.in.