myUpchar starts delivering Hospital Supplies for Health workers
In Tier 2 and 3 cities
Complete PPE kit, infrared thermometer and alcohol rub
Personal protective equipment (PPE) protects healthcare workers and caregivers who come in contact with COVID-19 patients again and again, and for prolonged periods. Globally, there is a shortage of this equipment as healthcare systems in many countries are under unprecedented strain because of the new coronavirus infection.
Seeing the shortage of PPE equipment in several healthcare facilities across the country, myUpchar on Wednesday announced that it has tied up with a licensed manufacturer to make these kits available to medical staff in every town and village of India.
The kits, available in packs of 10, 20 and 50 kits each, are especially geared towards smaller clinics and nursing homes which don’t have an assured supply of PPE.
“We know that we will need to pool all our healthcare resources to fight this pandemic - our doctors, nurses, medical staff are our biggest resources at this time. We see it as a priority to shore up their defences: our doctors need to be safe to keep us safe,” said Rajat Garg, co-founder of myUpchar.com.
PPEs are especially designed to protect the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. This is because coronaviruses and other pathogens can easily enter the body through these surfaces. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has issued comprehensive guidelines for the use of this protective equipment. myUpchar is ensuring the availability of these kits in accordance with these guidelines. Here are the specifications:
- Triple layer masks: These single-use masks have a good resistance to fluids, to protect against cough and sneeze droplets. They are also breathable to allow their use over several hours.
- Goggles: Made with transparent, fog-resistant glass, these goggles have an adjustable holder to form a proper seal with the skin of the face. They can also accommodate prescription glasses.
- Gloves: These are available in two specifications: non-sterile nitrile gloves which can resist chemicals and disinfectants like chlorine and powder-free latex gloves.
- Gowns: These gowns cover the front and back of the body, and are impermeable to bodily fluids - including blood. Different sizes are available to ensure that doctors and medical staff can wear coveralls that come down to their lower legs.
- Shoe covers: These covers are easy to wear and remove in a short time. They are also impermeable to bodily fluids including blood.
- Head covers: These covers are designed to shield the head and neck of the medical practitioner - including the hair and hair extensions.
- Body bags: Leak-proof, air-sealed disposable bags of 2.2 x 1.2 meters, these bags also do not allow bodily fluids to seep through.
In addition to these, myUpchar is also making infrared thermometers, N-95 respirator masks and hospital-grade hand sanitizer (alcohol rub) available through its e-commerce platform. The infrared thermometer reads temperatures accurately from a safe distance from suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients. N95 masks are respirator masks that have a good resistance to fluids, to protect against cough and sneeze droplets. They have good breathability so they can be worn for several hours with as little discomfort as possible. And the hand sanitizer has 60-95% alcohol by volume, which has proven to be effective in breaking the chain of coronavirus transmission.
Together, PPE kits, alcohol rubs and infrared thermometers can provide 360-degree protection to our medical professionals and help India break the chain of transmission faster, better.