SWIGGY STATEATSTICS 2021: How India Swiggyed this year
Swiggy’s sixth annual StatEATstics report reveals how Indians ordered 115 Biryanis per minute, Samosas equal to the population of New Zealand, and enough tomatoes to play the Spanish Tomatina festival for eleven years
There is no denying that 2020 has left an indelible mark on the way we lead our lives. While masks, sanitiser and bottles of handwash were still added to carts in 2021, ever-lasting favorites like Biryani, Samosa and grocery staples like bananas reminded us that things are still somewhat normal. As another year of ups and downs draws to a close, Swiggy’s sixth annual StatEATstics replays what India ordered, ate, and ferried in 2021.
Note: The StatEATstics order analysis is based on millions of orders received by Swiggy for food delivery, grocery on Instamart, pick up and drop service Swiggy Genie and HealthHub between January and December 2021.
Top food orders of the year:
Jab tak rahega Swiggy pe Samosa - The most binged snack of the year was the Samosa with about 5 million orders on Swiggy – that’s one Samosa for every New Zealander!
- The Desi Samosa was ordered 6 times more than Chicken Wings. Pav Bhaji was India’s second favourite snack with 2.1 million orders
- However, the order history of the night bingers saw a twist. Post 10 PM, India’s night owls looking to satiate their cravings turned to Cheese-garlic Bread, Popcorn, and French Fries, more than any other eatables.
The rose-inspired dessert that rose to the top! With a total of 2.1 million orders, Gulab Jamun was the most ordered dessert on Swiggy. In second position was Rasmalai with 1.27 million orders.
India's top dishes in 2021: We’ve been publishing this report for six years, and the mighty Biryani has topped the charts…well, for six years in a row!
- In 2020, 90 Biryanis were ordered per minute and in 2021, India ordered 115 Biryanis per minute, or 2 (1.91) Biryanis per second.
- Chicken Biryani is still the queen of our hearts and ordered 4.3 times more than her humble vegetarian counterpart.
- The most common first dish ordered? Over 4.25L lakh new users made their Swiggy debut by ordering a Chicken Biryani.
- Kasa kai Mumbai? While Chicken Biryani topped the charts in Chennai, Kolkata, Lucknow and Hyderabad, Mumbai ordered twice as many Dal Khichidis as compared to Chicken Biryanis.
- Speaking about Dal Khichidi, the search for healthy food on Swiggy doubled in 2021, and health-focused restaurants on Swiggy HealthHub witnessed a 200% increase in orders
- Bangalore emerged as the most health-conscious city followed by Hyderabad and Mumbai
- Mondays and Thursdays are when India eats the healthiest
- Keto-The key to good health?
- Keto orders grew by 23%
- 83% surge in vegan and plant-based food orders
Note: Swiggy’s food delivery is present in 500 cities across India
Grocery India wanted now!
- Instamart delivered over 28 million packs of fruits and vegetables alone in 2021. Tomatoes, bananas, onions, potatoes, and green chilies were the top 5 fruits and veggies delivered in under 30 minutes.
- This year, Indians ordered enough tomatoes to play the Tomatina festival in Spain for 11 years!
- The total bananas ordered on Instamart outweighed the Statue of Liberty by 2.6 times. Talk about going Bananas!
- Instant indulgence: 1.4 million packets of instant noodles, 3.1 million packets of chocolate, 2.3 million tubs of ice creams and 6.1 million packets of chips ordered online. In fact, chips were the top item ordered post 10 pm.
- SOS, need it now: Over 70,000 packs of band-aid, 55,000 packs of diapers and 3 lakh packs of sanitary napkins were delivered in 15-30 minutes.
- War against Covid-19 continues: 1 Lakh masks and over 4 lakh soaps and handwashes were ordered online.
Note: Swiggy’s express grocery delivery service Instamart was present in two cities at the beginning of 2021 and is currently present in 18 cities
Things India ferried in 2021
- Food items approximated 48% of the total Genie orders. Interestingly, over 20,000 of these orders were for pet food.
- Between April- June 2021, Swiggy Genie delivered over 600 meals per day, prepared by Covid heroes such as Sathya Sai Trust, Hyatt Regency Delhi, Abhyutthanam Society, Massive Restaurants, Vogue Kitchens, as well as by home cooks and “seva” kitchens, specially to the recovering Covid-19 patients during the second wave.
- The “medicine” category on Genie registered an increase of 288.79%. Customers ordered a wide range of over-the-counter medicines, including homeopathic and ayurvedic.
- Did you know? A Swiggy Genie delivery partner from Bangalore travelled 42 km to deliver an Oxygen flowmeter.
- Food and grocery followed by medicines, rounded off the top 3 categories for Genie deliveries
- The long and short of it: The maximum distance travelled by a delivery partner was 55.5 KMs to deliver a food package in Bangalore. The shortest distance? To a store 200 meters away from a customer’s doorstep to pick up a tongue cleaner!
Note: Swiggy pick up and drop service Genie is present in 68 cities.
Despite a growing inclination towards veganism, Indians continue to enjoy their meat
- While Chicken was India’s preferred choice of non-vegetarian food, Ready to Cook meats evolved into the new favorite category in meat for this year
- Across Cities, Chicken Curry Cut was the most favorite meat item. Bhubaneswar and Central Goa however, preferred Chicken legs and breast.
- Biryani is not only India’s favorite dish, but Chicken Biryani Cut is also a favorite on Swiggy’s Meat Stores. It was the fourth most ordered meat item.
Note: Swiggy Meat Stores is available in top cities
Swiggy’s believe it or not- 2021 edition:
- Chennai turned out to be the most generous city where a Swiggy delivery partner was tipped Rs. 6000 for a single order
- Bangaloreans' love for Dosas is awe-inspiring: Not only did Bangalore top the charts for ordering Dosas, Dosa batter was also very popularly ordered by people in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai - with Instamart delivering over 8 lakh Kgs of batter in 2021
- A Biryani lover in Kolkata made a Swiggy Genie delivery partner to travel 39.3 Kms from home to bring her her favorite Mutton Biryani!
- 7-9 PM seemed to be the “happy hours” for food lovers with maximum orders being placed then
- Talking about happiness, a Swiggy Genie travelled 43.3 Kms to deliver a box of brownies to a customer at the Hyderabad Airport- now that’s a happy ending we’re glad we were a part of!
- Pan Asian, Indian, and Chinese were the top 3 cuisines ordered, followed by Mexican and Korean.
- Over 80% of customers opted to pay online, instead of paying by cash on delivery.
- In a single order, a customer in Kolkata ordered 15.4 Kgs of Hilsa from Swiggy Meat Stores
A city-wise look at food preferences on Swiggy :